30 injured in Stamford Hill at Lag BaOmer after 'explosion' during bonfire

Hannah Rogers
May 3, 2018

Social media erupted with reports that a smartphone was burned which caused the explosion.

Hundreds of people had gathered at the Biala Shul in Stamford Hill, as the Rebbe was going to light the "Medurah".

Some witnesses said the explosion was sparked by mobile phones being thrown into the bonfire, a tradition for Lag BaOmer, an annual Jewish festive day.

Dramatic footage shows a fire about to be lit, as revellers sing in the background just metres away last night.

Malaysian court issues first fake news conviction
Sulaiman said his actions were not meant to cause harm, and apologized for posting the video in a "moment of anger". The judge fined Sulaiman 10,000 ringgit but he opted to spend a month in jail because he could not pay.

Medics treated about 30 people at the scene, the Yeshiva World News website reported, and some 10 were taken to local hospitals with burns on their faces. One of the preliminary version, the cause of the explosion was careless handling of fuel, which is used to start a fire.

Hatzola, a Jewish volunteer ambulance service in London, worked alongside London Ambulance Service to treat victims.

Ten people were injured when a bonfire lit to celebrate the eve of a Jewish holiday exploded and sent a fireball into a crowd in north London. No criminal allegations reported.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER