$400,000 raised by couple for homeless veteran is ‘gone,’ attorney says

Hannah Rogers
September 7, 2018

The court had ordered them to account for what they'd spent and put the rest in a trust for the homeless veteran.

The lawyer representing a homeless man who gave his last $20 to a couple stranded on a Pennsylvania interstate past year says there is no money left from a GoFundMe account the pair created to help the Good Samaritan.

Chris Fallon, an attorney for Johnny Bobbitt, said he was shocked when he heard there was no money left to turn over to his client.

On Thursday, a superior court judge ruled that the couple had 24 hours to turn over the remainder of $400,000 raised through GoFundMe to Bobbitt, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer.

McClure and her boyfriend Mark D'Amico started a GoFundMe campaign in return, promising that Bobbitt would have a home.

An at-times frustrated judge has ordered the New Jersey couple responsible for raising $400,000 online for a homeless good Samaritan to give sworn testimony over what happened to the money.

D'Amico has said Bobbitt spent $25,000 in less than two weeks in December on drugs, in addition to paying overdue legal bills and sending money to his family.

Mr D'Amico said after establishing the GoFundMe page, the money would be going into the couple's bank account because they were concerned Mr Bobbitt had issues with drug addiction.

Last month, Dow ordered the couple to wire the remaining funds to a trust for Bobbitt by Friday, and submit an accounting report of the donated money. The lawyers said no money had been transferred from the couple's savings account into a frozen escrow account set up by the law firm Cozen O'Connor.

The filing also seeks compensatory damages and interest and counsel fees, and that a "guardian ad litem" be appointed for Bobbitt.

Acting icon Burt Reynolds dead at 82
But Burt didn't let his financial issues hold back his career, going on to star in 47 films after declaring bankruptcy. He would later call Field "the one that got away".

An attorney representing a homeless man who is trying to recover hundreds of thousands of dollars raised in a GoFundMe campaign that went viral claims he was told that there is no money left.

Johnny Bobbitt gained worldwide attention when he used his last $A25 to fill up the petrol tank of stranded motorist Kate McClure in November 2017. They later appeared on shows like "Good Morning America" and were interviewed by the BBC before the relationship went sour.

That's what the attorney for North Carolina-native and homeless veteran Johnny Bobbitt Jr. said, according to WPVI.

"You should advise your clients that they are directed by the court to appear", Judge Dow told the couple's attorney, Badway.

Fallon also shared that D'Amico "offered to write him [Bobbitt] a check", suggesting Bobbitt abandon the lawyers, and instead, accept whatever was left of the remaining money. It's unclear what happened to the money.

Promislo said that Bobbitt is now homeless and focusing on getting into rehab. D'Amico told the newspaper he had indeed used $500 from the bank account to gamble on a night when he forgot his Sugarhouse Casino card but had "quickly repaid" the money with his winnings.

"I don't want him to do anything stupid", D'Amico told the Inquirer.

In November 2017, Kate McClure's auto broke down on the side of the I-95 in Philadelphia.

GoFundMe spokesman Bobby Whithorne said the company is working with law enforcement to "ensure Johnny receives all of the funds raised on his behalf".

Nevertheless, Bobbitt is now back on the streets despite all the cash raised by 14,000 donors. They have said they are fine with the trustee. She said he was addicted to heroin, was successful in a program for a long period of time and relapsed, and was getting suboxone, an opioid-treatment drug, but when he was unable to get the hard-to-obtain medication he also bought it illegally.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER