Cowboys offered second-rounder for Earl Thomas in last week

Tyler Owen
September 7, 2018

Earl Thomas will remain with the Seattle Seahawks for the 2018 season and he will now report. Those are all at team discretion, though, and Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network reported that the Seahawks "did agree to wipe away nearly all of his fines".

The six-time Pro Bowler is scheduled to make $8.5 million in the final season of a four-year, $40 million contract he signed in 2014.

The Cowboys' interest in Thomas remains strong.

The news of Thomas' plans to show up to the VMAC today comes on the heels of another report from Adam Schefter of ESPN that the Seahawks were offered a second-round pick by Dallas "within the past week" for Thomas but turned it down. That likelihood, apparently, is enough to keep the Cowboys brass from ponying up whatever pot-sweeteners Seattle now wants.

Thomas told ESPN's Josina Anderson that he plans to end his holdout Wednesday and report to the team.

Colin Kaepernick is the face of Nike's new "Just Do It" campaign
ESPN has reported that Nike kept Kaepernick, who signed a sponsorship deal with the company in 2011, was on its payroll throughout the controversy of the past two years.

As of the moment, any deal between the Seahawks and the Cowboys with regards to the fate of Thomas is unlikely to push through, especially when considering Dallas executive vice president Stephen Jones' statement last week that his team and Seattle have not had any meaningful discussions of late.

Wednesday's news of Thomas reporting to his current team might well lead to both sides considering it a stalemate.

Projected starter Xavier Woods at free safety will miss the season opener and maybe longer with a pulled hamstring.

The Cowboys visit Thomas and the Seahawks in Seattle in Week 3.

"With that being said, the disrespect has been well noted and will not be forgotten", Thomas wrote after indicating he wouldn't let his teammates down this weekend.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER