NJPW had the finals for the much anticipated “Best of the Super Jr. XXI”. It was apcked house that with over 3,000 fans; and they went home as happy campers from reports read. Below is a look at how the action went down:
NJPW, 6/8/14 (WPW/iPPV)
Yoyogi National Stadium Gymnasium #2
3,014 Fans – No Vacancy
1. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima, BUSHI & Kenny Omega Dramatic Dream Team beat Mascara Don, Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask & Mascara Dorada (8:35) when Omega used the Croyt’s Wrath on Dorada.
2. Rocky Romero & Gedo beat Kota Ibushi & El Desperado (10:07) when Romero used a Kurayami piledriver on Desperado.
3. Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata beat Yuji Nagata & Captain New Japan (10:49) when Goto used the Shouten Kai on Captain.
4. Best of the Super Jr. – Semi Final: KUSHIDA beat Taichi (7:29) with the Hoverboard Lock.
5. Best of the Super Jr. – Semi Final: Ricochet beat Ryusuke Taguchi (5:49) with the Benadryller.
6. Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka beat Toru Yano & Jado (9:52) when Suzuki used a Gotch-style piledriver on Jado.
7. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Tetsuya Naito & Tomoaki Honma beat Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows & Tama Tonga (10:15) when Tanahashi used the High Fly Flow on Tonga.
8. Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro Takahashi, Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson beat Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI (17:59) when Fale used the Bad Luck Fall on YOSHI-HASHI.
9. Best of the Super Jr. – Final: Ricochet beat KUSHIDA (23:06) with the Benadryller.
* A new star was born in New Japan’s junior division today as Ricochet, on his debut tour for the company, won the prestigious Best of the Super Jr. tournament. He defeated Taguchi in the semis while KUSHIDA, who also had an excellent tournament, bested Taichi (only in the semis because of Alex Shelley’s injury).
And then in a fantastic final, Ricochet overcome KUSHIDA after 23 minutes of exciting action to lift the trophy and become BOSJ winner. This led to a confrontation with Kota Ibushi, the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champion, who will now defend his title against Ricochet on the big Osaka show on 6/21.
Can Ricochet go all the way and capture the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title?
* Takashi Iizuka debuted as a Suzuki Gun member today, teaming with faction leader Suzuki to defeat former partner Yano and Jado. Suzuki pinned Jado and the two kept beating down the CHAOS wrestlers until Kazushi Sakuraba ran in and saved them. All signs point to a Suzuki vs. Sakuraba feud.
Credit: Strong Style Spirit