We love getting live event reports in from our readers. Thanks to one of our readers, @WillMarelle on Twitter, for sending along some great details on the Saturday, July 30 NXT event that took place at the Retention Music Center in Houston, TX. You can send live event reports in to me for any pro wrestling event to email@example.com.
NXT Live Event, Houston, TX:
Our ring announcer for the packed house inside of the Retention Music Center in Houston, Texas is Andrea DiMarco.
Mojo Rawley vs. Buddy Murphy
– Mojo is the right guy to kick off a show. From the start fans chant “You ain’t hype at Murphy.” Some good back and forth comedy by these two, but in the end Mojo wins with The Pounce.
Andrade “Cien” Almas vs. Wesley Blake
– Solid matchup here. ACA teased the crowd with a couple of fake outside dives before landing a big plancha on Blake. Out of the two former Dubstep Cowboys, Wesley Blake definitely has potential as a singles guy. ACA is good in-ring, but they need to define his character. Almas wins with the double knee launcher into the turnbuckle and quickly follows that up with a Downward Spiral on Blake.
Carmella and Bayley vs. Mandy Rose and Daria Berenato
– Carmella bounces to the ring and gets a great reaction. She talks with the crowd and tries a few new lines for her Smackdown Live call up. The crowd starts “Bayley” chants and out comes the Raw superstar with the skydancers. She gets a ridiculously loud reaction for her last match in an NXT ring.
– There opponents are Total Divas star Mandy Rose and Tough Enough contestant Daria Berenato. Daria has an MMA background and showcases some nice jabs as a little warm up. Rose grabs a mic and talks down to Carmella, Bayley and the crowd before Daria declares that she is a “women’s grappling world champion.”
– Some very good back-and-forth action with these four women. Mandy Rose didn’t get in much offense outside of some kicks, but did surprise the crowd when she planted Carmella with an Angel’s Wings. Christopher Daniels would be proud.
In the end, Bayley gets the pin and the win. Mandy and Daria were pretty impressive on first look.
Austin Aries vs. Hideo Itami
– Aries and Itami get a “this is awesome” and “welcome back” chants before the start of the match. We get some great opening sequences of mat wrestling followed by the conceitedness of Austin Aries. Hideo goes on the offensive by delivering a series of kicks to A-Double. Just some great back-and-forth, hard-hitting action between the two guys. Hideo is still teasing the GTS. He hits his finisher and gets the pinfall victory. Great match.
NXT Tag Team Championship Match
Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa vs. The Revival (C) (Scott Dawson and Dash Wilder)
– Gargano and Ciampa arrive to a good reaction and “Johnny Wrestling” chants. The Revival get an equally good welcome and we’re off. The teams try to get quick pins on each other before resetting. Dash and Dawson are so great. At one point, Dash tries to get into the ring but akwardly goes over the rope. He fakes an injury to get the ref’s attention, but as Gargano and Ciampa are about to take advantage, the ref stops Ciampa from entering the ring while Dash and Dawson deliver stomps to Gargano. We get a ton of 2.9-counts before The Revival use some heel tactics for the win. Scott Dawson grabs the ringbell himself and signifies that the match ended with them winning while Johnny and Tommaso are left in the ring stunned. The crowd gives everyone a standing ovation. We’ve gotten title changes at NXT house shows before and the crowd knew that this could possibly one of those moments.
Match of the night.
NXT Womens’ Championship Match
Nia Jax vs. Asuka (C)
– Nia shows some new fire in this championship rematch with taunts like “Is this your champion?” while she brushes Asuka’s face across the rope. Asuka gains advantage again with chops and dropkicks before Nia pulls over the ref, takes her earrings off, and ties her hair up as if she was getting ready for a street fight. The two women go into a sequence of counters until Asuka delivers a huge kick to the face and retains her title. Nia is improving, but still needs some type of monster heel run to be effective. As of now, she loses too much. Asuka is gonna need some new challengers…
Finn Balor and Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Bobby Roode and Samoa Joe
– Andrea hypes the crowd as they show a special package highlighting Finn Balor’s NXT journey. Very cool. The lights go out and the crowd roars as Finn enters the floor. Many crowd members were wearing Nakamura shirts and they were ready when he hit the ring. Awesome.
– GLORIOUS Bobby Roode comes out and the crowd already is singing to his theme. I loved Roode’s TNA theme, but this one is just as good. Joe stomps out to the ring and the crowd realizes that we basically have an NJPW vs. TNA match and they loose it. Finn laughs it off and says “New Japan all day baby!” to the crowd!
– Balor and Roode start off with some good technical maneuvers. They both tag out which gets the crowd hype for Joe vs. Shinsuke, but Joe cowards out and tags Roode back in. The teams trade blows with Nakamura finally getting some offense on Joe. The action is everywhere with Balor and Roode as the legal men. Finn hits Roode with the Coup de Gras and its over. Great main event.
– The heels leave while Shinsuke celebrates with Finn after his last NXT match. Bayley’s music hits and the crowd roars again. Bayley grabs a mic and thanks everyone. She thanks Finn and says that it all started with him and that he took NXT to a whole new level. She then indiviually calls out all of the call ups. Mojo, Carmella, and Nia come to the ring. Nakamura is still in the ring. Bayley jokes with the bunch and out comes the rest of the locker room to the entranceway. Finn grabs the mic and thanks Bayley. He said that we shouldn’t thank just him, but all the guys and gals that worked their way up with him on the NXT roster. He gives a special thanks to Matt Bloom for changing the culture in the Performance Center and bringing the best out of all the talent after the departure of Bill DeMott. It was stated in a shoot fashion and I’m sure he meant every bit of it. Balor ended the night by saying “Ladies and Gentlemen, We are NXT!”