Thanks to site reader (and personal friend) Chris, who shot me the following live event results from WWE’s live event in Fairfax, VA that took place on Sunday, March 11. You can always send in your live event results by emailing me at email@example.com for any professional wrestling event you attend (WWE, ROH, TNA, and all the independent promotions).
WWE Live (Smackdown Crew), March 11, 2017 in Fairfax, VA:
Greg Hamilton was the ring announcer for the night. Before the action started, they threw a social media poll out asking fans what match they wanted to see in full before the event. Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H at WM30 got 35%, Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart from WM 10 got 15%, and Eddie Guerrero vs. Kurt Angle at WM 20 got 50% to win.
Daniel Bryan was shown in a pre-tape on the video wall asking if fans were ready to have a good time, and then it was time for the matches.
- Heath Slater, Rhyno, and Mojo Rawley def. Breezango and Curt Hawkins. Best chant of the night – “He’s got Kids” directed at Slater before the match. Rhyno won with the Gore.
- The Miz (w/Maryse) def. Kalisto. Miz knows how to get heat and he got it throughout. He killed five minutes of the match just trying to do his catchphrase.
- Apollo Crews def. Dolph Ziggler. Pretty flat reaction for both guys here. About the only reaction Dolph got was when he grabbed a chair after being encouraged to do so, then dropped it.
- American Alpha (c) def. The Usos to retain the Smackdown Tag Team Championship. Wow, AA seems so misused. Not much reaction for them at all when they came out. A good match from the two teams, with a little uprising for the Usos and a nice acknowledgement of the win by AA. WWE needs to build AA so much more.
- Bray Wyatt (c) def. Luke Harper to retain the WWE Championship. A really good match from these two that Bray won with Sister Abigail. They worked stiff. We were by the ramp, and at one point Bray put the steps up there and threw Harper into them. Ouch.
They gave an intermission, then told us that the Raw crew was coming through on July 24. Pre-sale code is FAIRFAX. Next matches:
- Alexa Bliss def. Becky Lynch, Tamina, Natalya, Mickie James and Carmella to retain the Smackdown Women’s Championship. A bit of a weird match, not terrible but not great. The finish came out of nowhere, and it seemed like it was designed to get everyone their moments in. Someone near me said “I don’t even know who that is” when Tamina was in the ring. No real heat on Alexa winning.
- Dean Ambrose def. Baron Corbin by DQ in an Intercontinental Championship match. Another really good house show/television match here. Corbin took it to Dean early and often, and the crowd gave him heat for it.
- Randy Orton def. AJ Styles. Mixed reactions for AJ, but huge pops for Orton despite his arsonist status (kidding). People reacted to AJ throwing up the “too sweet” gesture late in the match. Orton won with an RKO that came from AJ trying for the Phenomenal Forearm, but they set it up with AJ pausing on the ropes rather than going for a full springboard. Kind of reminded me of a Tower of London spot.
Top Pops: Orton, Ambrose, Becky Lynch. Luke Harper, Rhyno, and Kalisto get honorable mentions.
Top Heat: Miz, Corbin, and AJ
Lots of kids and families in the crowd. If I had to guess, around 5,000 to 6,000 in the building. Overall, a good house show, with the IC title, Orton vs. AJ, and Bray vs. Harper being standout matches on the card. Had a good time.